Tipperary Taxpayers Urged To Claim Tax Back Before 31 December Deadline

Many PAYE workers can claim tax back, for example on health expenses, nursing home fees, tuition fees or flat-rate expenses. However, it is important to remember that there is a four year time limit to submit your claim.

Last October, Revenue wrote to more than 137,000 PAYE workers who have not applied for any tax refund in the last four years.  Even if you did not get a letter from Revenue, now is a good time to check your records and make sure you have claimed all your entitlements, before the 31 December deadline passes.  Most online refund claims are paid within 5 working days. The important things to remember are:

  • There is a 4-year time limit for claiming tax refunds, so if you have a claim for 2012, go online and submit it by 31 December 2016.
  • The quickest, easiest and most convenient way to claim your tax back is online, using myAccount.
  • If you’re not already registered for  myAccount,  you can register quickly and easily on the Revenue website


(1)    General


  • Many PAYE taxpayers may be entitled to claim tax back.
  • There is a 4-year time limit for claiming a tax refund. This means that if you have a claim for 2012, we must receive it by 31 December 2016.
  •  Last year, Revenue refunded over €444m in respect of almost 1.1m PAYE employee reviews.
  •  Items on which you may be entitled to claim a tax refund include;

o   health expenses

o   nursing home fees

o   tuition fees

o   flat-rate expenses.


If you have not paid any tax, you cannot claim a tax refund.

All the information you’ll need is available on www.revenue.ie (click on the Personal Tax tab on the green bar running across the top of the screen).


(2)    Claiming a Tax Refund

When you submit a claim to Revenue, it is processed and verified.  The quickest way to get your refund is to apply online and have the money paid by electronic transfer direct to your bank account. Online refund claims are normally paid within 5 working days.

(3)    Online Services

myAccount allows you to manage your own tax affairs quickly, easily , and conveniently.

myAccount is accessible on all smart devices, providing for immediate update of your tax credits, speedy refunds and secure 24-7 access. You can

·         Claim tax back, claim credits and reliefs and declare additional incomes

·         View your latest Tax Credit Certificate

·         View P21 Balancing Statements

·         View tax credits and PAYE incomes, including rental income, for the previous 4 years

·         View Requests History and any Pending Requests


The quickest, easiest and most convenient way to manage your tax affairs and claim your tax credits is online using myAccount

·         If you have forgotten your PIN, you can retrieve a new myAccount password by clicking on the ‘Forgot Password’ link on the myAccount sign-in page.

·         If you are not registered for  myAccount you can register quickly and easily on the homepage on www.revenue.ie.

·         To register for myAccount, you will need your PPS number; date of birth; mobile or landline phone number; email address and home address.  We will send you a myAccount password by post and you can expect to receive this within 5 days for most cases.

·         You can also provide your P60 and driving licence information.  Where we can verify this information in real time we will send a myAccount password by email or text giving you instant access to myAccount.

(4)    Examples of expenses on which you may be entitled to a refund

Health Expenses

You can claim tax relief on the cost of certain health expenses paid by you in respect of anyone. The relief is 20%, except for fees paid for nursing homes fees, for which the relief is at the higher tax rate of 40%.

You can’t claim tax relief on costs that are paid or will be paid by your health insurance provider e.g. VHI, Aviva, etc.

The relief doesn’t cover routine dental or eye care. Relief is available in respect of non routine dental treatment e.g. crowns, root canal, braces.

You don’t need to submit receipts, just keep them in case Revenue asks you to verify your claim. Qualifying health expenses include  the following: –

  • doctors’ and consultants’ fees
  • diagnostic procedures carried out on the advice of a practitioner
  • drugs or medicines prescribed by a doctor, dentist, or consultant
  • maintenance or treatment in a hospital in connection with the services of a practitioner
  • diagnostic procedures carried out on the advice of a practitioner
  • supply, maintenance or repair of any medical, surgical, dental or nursing appliance used on the advice of a practitioner
  • physiotherapy or similar treatment prescribed by a practitioner
  • orthoptic or similar treatment prescribed by a practitioner
  • speech and language therapy carried out by a Speech and Language Therapist for a qualifying person – i.e. a person under 18 year of age or if over 18 the individual must be receiving full-time instruction at any university, college, school or other educational establishment
  • transport by ambulance
  • educational psychological assessments for a qualifying person as outlined above where the Educational Psychologist has expertise in the education of students
  • certain items of expenditure in respect of a child suffering from a serious life threatening illness
  • kidney patients’ expenses (up to a maximum amount depending on whether the patient uses hospital dialysis, home dialysis or CAPD). See Kidney Patients.
  • specialised dental treatment

Flat Rate (employment) expenses

These are expenses you incur in performing the duties of the employment that are directly related to the nature of the employment such as for example, uniforms or tools.


A standard flat rate expenses allowance is set for various classes of employee.  See Flat Rate Expenses list (MS Excel, 61KB). The amount of the deduction is agreed between Revenue and representatives of groups or classes of employees (usually the employees are represented by trade union officials). The agreed deduction is then applied to all employees of the class or group in question.

Tuition Fees

Tax relief at the standard rate of tax is available for tuition fees paid for certain full-time and part-time undergraduate courses of at least 2 years duration:

The course must be an approved course in an approved college in the State, in another EU member State or non-EU member State (only postgraduate courses in latter case)
Full-time and part-time Undergraduate Courses must be of at least 2 years duration.
Postgraduate Courses must be of at least 1 but not more than 4 years duration.
Training courses in the areas of foreign language and information technology must be of less than 2 years duration.
The maximum amount of fees that can qualify for tax relief is €7,000 per person per course, and certain amounts of qualifying tuition fees are disregarded in respect of each claim, for example:

Full-time student: There is no tax relief on the first €3,000 spent on tuition fees (including the Student Contribution) for the 2015/2016 academic year.

Part-time student: There is no tax relief on the first €1,500 spent on tuition fees (including the Student Contribution) for the 2015/2016 academic year.

More than one student: If you are claiming for more than one student, you will get full tax relief on tuition fees (including the Student Contribution) for the second or subsequent students.

You can find examples of how the tuition fees tax relief works on the Revenue website.

Dependent Relative Tax Credit

You can claim the Dependent Relative tax credit if you maintain a relative at your own expenses. The relative must be one who

·         Is incapacitated by old age/infirmity from maintaining him/herself

·         Is a widowed father or mother of yourself, your spouse or civil partner or a parent of your civil partner who is himself or herself a surviving civil partner, regardless of age and state of health and

·         Whose income does not exceed  €14,060.

This credit can also be claimed by an individual who maintains, at their own expense, a son or daughter or a child of your civil partner who resides with them and on whose services they are compelled to depend due to old age or infirmity.

There is more information available on the Revenue website here.

Rent Relief

An individual, paying for private rented accommodation used as a sole or main residence can claim rent relief. This includes rent paid for flats, apartments or houses. It does not include rent paid to Local Authorities or State Agencies or under a lease agreement for 50 years or more. For the years 2011onwards, the tax credit applies to individuals who were renting a property on 7 December 2010.

NOTE: No tax credit is due to individuals who began renting after 7 December 2010.

This tax credit will cease in 2017.

There is more information on the Revenue website.

Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!

You must be logged in to post a comment.