Munster Ladies Football Championship match report Tipperary v Waterford

Tipperary’s Intermediate Ladies Football team will have to beat Limerick this weekend and hope that Waterford get something from the game with the Shannon-siders the following weekend if they are to assured of a place in this years Munster Final which is to be played in Castletownroche on July 13.

Played in a strong wind at Fraher Field on Sunday afternoon last, it was the home side that emerged as winners of the opening game in this years championship with five points to spare.

Tipperary had first use of the strong wind which blew into the Road Goal at Fraher Field but it was Waterford that made the early running hitting points from Mairead Wall and Michelle Ryan inside three minutes of the game starting.

In a game that saw the sides swap the lead a number of times, the visitors were not very long behind as a Gillian O’Brien effort on four minutes was deflected in the direction of Aherlow’s Edel Hanley and she made no mistake in putting the ball past Aimee Jordan from relatively close range.

Waterford hit back with points from Linda Wall and Michelle Ryan to retake the lead but the visitors soon levelled thanks to an Edel Hanley effort. Linda Wall and Gillian O’Brien swapped scores for their respective sides to keep the sides tied at the end of the first quarter.

Tipperary retook the lead through Sheelagh Carew but the very impressive Aileen Wall wasted no time in responding for Waterford.

Points from Jennifer Grant and Edel Hanley were landed for Tipperary before Michelle Ryan halved the visitors lead.

Tipperary when two points in front when Edel Hanley put over a free six minutes from the break and seconds later, Waterford had their numbers temporarily cut when Mary Foley was harshly sin binned.

In the time that remained, with the wind at their backs and with an advantage of numbers on the field, Tipperary pressed at the Waterford defence, retiring at the break with a 1-7 to 0-7 lead after Niamh Lonergan pointed three minutes from the break.

Waterford with the wind at their backs in the second half, came out a much more determined side. Early points from Linda Wall, Shona Curran and Michelle McGrath were all landed to level matters once more six minutes after the restart.

Tipperary kicked the next two scores through Edel Hanley and Lorraine O’Shea to retake the lead but Waterford responded with a good score from Linda Wall.

Edel Hanley on the day proved to be one of Tipperary’s most dangerous players, put over another free before Sinead Ryan who impressed immensely in the second half in front of the Tipperary goal put over a point leaving just one between the sides at the end of the third quarter.

Aileen Wall pointed for Waterford on forty-seven minutes and straight away Pat O’Brien sent on Dearbhla Ní hAodha for her championship debut replacing Shona Curran, and the Abbeyside club lady was on the field just seconds when she repaid the fate shown in her by the selectors hitting a goal, the ball creeping to the net between Tipperary goalkeeper Jacquie O’Gorman and her near post as the ball came in from the bank side of the field.

From the restart, Tipperary attacked the Waterford goal and within seconds of Waterford hitting the Tipperary net, the visitors hit the Waterford net the second time this time through Lorraine O’Shea.

Gillian O’Brien kicked a point for Tipperary but in the closing minutes they had to play second fiddle to Waterford who called on the experience amassed in recent years to hit the scores that won them the game.

There was a degree of luck to some of Waterford’s scores in the last few minutes, but as everyone knows, at times it does not matter how they go between the uprights so long as they do.

Linda Wall pointed for Waterford before Sinead Ryan attempted her luck for a goal but Jacquie O’Gorman did well to turn the ball over for a point.

Lorraine O’Shea again pointe for Tipperary to level matters, but with four minutes to play, Waterford ate a huge slice of luck as a Michelle Ryan side line crept all the way to the Tipperary net to give Waterford a three point lead and within seconds, Ann Dunphy pointed to give Waterford a deserved four point lead with time almost up.

Waterford: Aimee Jordan; Mary Foley, Gráinne Enright, Nora Dunphy; Aoife Landers, Ann Dunphy, Louise Ryan; Michelle McGrath, Elaine Power; Linda Wall, Shona Curran, Mairéad Wall;  Aileen Wall, Sinéad Ryan, Michelle Ryan. Subs: Dearbhla Ní hAodha for Shona Curran, Shauna Dunphy for Sinéad Ryan

Scorers: Michelle Ryan 1-3 (1-0 side line, 0-1 free), Linda Wall 0-4, Aileen Wall, Sinead Ryan 0-3 each, Dearbhla Ní hAodha 1-0, Shona Curran, Michelle McGrath, Ann Dunphy 0-1 each.

Tipperary: Jackie O’Gorman; Brid Condon, Samantha Lambert, Catriona Walsh; Katie Lyne, Claire Carroll, Barbara Ryan; Jennifer Grant, Sheelagh Carew; Lorraine O’Shea, Mairead Morrissey, Niamh Lonergan; Edel Hanley, Gillian O’Brien, Patricia Hickey. Subs;  Aisling McCarthy for Mairead Morrissey, Orlagh Walsh for Catriona Walsh, Siobhan Condon for Niamh Lonergan, Sarah Everard for Edel Hanley.

Scorers: Edel Hanley 1-4 (0-4 frees), Lorraine O’Shea 1-2, Niamh Lonergan 0-3, Gillian O’Brien 0-1, Jennifer Grant 0-1, Sheelagh Carew 0-1

Referee: Chris Cronin (Cork).

Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!

You must be logged in to post a comment.